Job Title: Accountant – ASARECA
Reporting to the Head of Finance, the job holder will be responsible for record keeping and management, management of petty cash transactions, handle bank transactions within the finance unit.
The job holder will be part of ASARECA’s finance function.
To support and provide financial services in budgeting, accounting, disbursements and reporting and ensure that accounting staff perform their duties and deliver their assignments efficiently and timely.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Identifying and contributing to the improvement of internal controls systems and procedures within the finance unit and support the implementation of new financial policies and procedures
- Assist the Head of Finance to initiate and draft correspondences relating to financial matters to donors, banks, customers etc.
- Support the head of finance and program staff to develop budgets (key component to any proposal development) for submission to donors while ensuring that all proposed activities are well budget for
- Coordinate the compilation of all internal and external financial reports for all programs
- Provide relevant useful and timely information to senior management with respect to the current financial position and financial consequences of any proposed decisions and or activities
- Ensure that all taxation and legislative requirements of host government are complied with at all times
- Review expenditures to ensure grant compliance with donor and ASARECA requirements
- Monitor the cash positions to ensure that business cash flow adequately supports project
- Assisting staff to develop a stronger understanding of ASARECA financial systems and accounting procedures.
- Support the building of the finance unit staff capacity.
- Analyse duty travel claims, workshop expenditure accountabilities, telecommunication bills, Projects Expenditure Accountability returns and forward them to Accounts Staff to raise vouchers in the Accounting system.
- Review the accounting vouchers generated in the Accounting system for proper classification, accuracy of analysis codes, amounts and details of payees.
Payroll and related duties
- Prepare staff payroll for approval and process payments in liaison with the Head of Human Resources and ensure timely submission of PAYE returns to URA, NSSF and executing these returns; so that the organization does not suffer penalties for late payment.
- Follow up receipt of monthly casual wage sheets and process timely payments.
Accounting System maintenance
- Ensure proper functioning of the Accounting system at all times by liaising with the System Administrator and service providers.
- Ensure proper encoding and posting of all approved financial transactions in the Accounting system
- Ensure accounting journals and source documents are kept systematically and are safely stored
Ledger accounts maintenance
- Review account balances, check entries and reconcile transactions to ensure the accuracy of all account balances.
- Ensure the completion of the transactions process, close books and timely extraction of monthly financial reports.
Bank and cash management
- Follow up receipt of monthly bank statements and prepare bank reconciliation statements on a monthly basis
- Maintain register books for bank payments and receipts and journal entries.
- Analyse accountabilities for petty cash before replenishment.
- Prepare budget vs actual comparison expenditure reports by cost centres and distribute them to respective cost centre managers (head of units/ departments).
- Track reporting dates for specific donors and prepare their financial statements on a timely basis by extracting data from the Accounting system.
- Ensure up to date and systematic record keeping of accounting support documents.
Advances and accounts monitoring
- Monitor cash advanced to staff and track business and personal account balances.
- Update staff on status of their advances before recovery can be done.
- Prepare and update statements of staff personal and advance accounts on a monthly basis.
- Bachelor in Business Administration/Commerce, Finance/Accounting
- Masters in Business Administration, Finance/Accounting is an added advantage.
- Professional qualification (ACCA, CIMA, CPA) and membership to a professional body is a must.
- At least 5 years’ working experience in a busy accounts environment.
- Knowledge and experience of applicable donor rules and regulations such as for USAID, World Bank, DFID, EU will be an added advantage.
Personal skills and attributes
- High level of integrity
- Knowledge of financial systems and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal, administrative and team skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills
- Flexible and ability to follow up on queries
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
Aspiring candidates should send their application in confidence to the address below by 5:00pm Monday 14th August 2017. The application should indicate the job title on the subject line and send (by post or email) your application letter and curriculum vitae (as one PDF document) containing details of your qualifications, experience, present position, current and expected remuneration as well as copies of professional/ academic certificates (as one PDF document). Include day and evening telephone numbers, email address, names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references to:
Head of Human Resources and Administration
Plot 5 Mpigi Road
P.o.Box 765 Entebbe, Uganda
ASARECA is committed to the ethics of equality; gender equality, diversity, inclusion and non-discrimination in all its requirement.