Job Title: Safety & Security Officer – Arua based CARE International Uganda
CARE International in Uganda
Job title: Safety and security officer – Arua based
Reporting to the emergency team leader, the safety and security officer will be responsible for ensuring that relevant and achievable security protocols are maintained in order to best provide for staff safety and program continuity for the emergency response program. This position will be based in arua and rove to other CARE field locations as required will focus on the emergency response program.
The safety and security officer shall fully comply with safety procedures of CARE and will be responsible for implementing them within the emergency response program.
- Planning and preparation – actively monitor the safety and security environment within CARE’s current emergency operational areas, and advice on potential risks and recommend mitigation measures. Participate in security related training and orientation. Conduct initial arrival briefings for any new staff or visitors to CARE officers.
- Procedures and protocols – routinely review and when required update the current standard operating procedures (SOPs) based on any changes in the operating environment or CARE’s programming. These protocols will cover all aspects of CARE operations ranging from offices to remote field locations. With support from the safety security focal person develop an emergency response specific safety management plan (SMP). Maintain staff tracking system to account for staff locations on a real time basis. Provide support to the program’s communications networks including coordination with UN communication facilities. Through routine interactions with field teams ensure current protocols and procedures are being adhered to and complied with, particularly field movement protocols. Network with other security officers and organizations to obtain information’s which can be analyzed to better understand the security environment and, through this, develop standard operating procedures relevant to the security setting in which programs are being implemented.
- Reporting: – provide routine security reports to the emergency team leader and safety security reports to the emergency team leader and safety security focal person as required.
- Training- conduct field level trainings to staff focused on current SOPs as well as safely moving and operating within remote locations. Areas of focus will be basic driver and first aid trainings as well as basic skills required for moving in and remaining overnight in field locations. Conduct quarterly crisis and incident management trainings with field based teams in order to ensure crisis management readiness.
- Crisis and incident management- support the field based emergency team leader and other field managers in the event of an incident and serve as the security focal point on any field crisis management team
- Uploading CARES’s core values and ensuring its principles Comply and exercise organizational values and culture. Help to promote rights and good governance. Responsible for gender responsive behavior in all actions and decisions.
Job and persons specification (Requirement)
- Bachelor’s degree in political/social sciences, international relations or relevant field from a recognized university.
- 3-5 years of safety and security management with NGOs, UN or other relief and development organizations. Candidates with similar level of experience within the private sector and/or police and military will be considered.
- Training in the fields of management, safety & security, law and enforcement experience will be an added advantage.
- Experience in the field of environment and emergency planning
- Ability to conduct ongoing risk assessments relevant trainings for field based staff and liaise with local communities and security forces in order to enhance staff safety.
- This position will need to have a high level of awareness of the access and logistical challenges faced by teams in remote areas of Uganda and adapt protocols to best suit the environment.
Interested persons with the above requirements should submit to their application letter clearly articulating alignment with the above profile and an updated detailed CV (attach then as one document) giving day time telephone contacts, names and email addresses of 3 (three) work related referees to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 5.00 pm on 14th of June 2017.